Effective Date: January 12, 2016
Welcome! The Fabien Cousteau Ocean Learning Center Inc., (collectively, the “OLC”, “Foundation”, “we”, “us” or “our”), is a foundation established to to raise awareness, educate, and inform all citizens of the world of ways to protect and preserve the planet’s waters, coastal areas, and endangered marine habitats and marine life by providing the knowledge and the discovery of new technologies to advocates and supporters of ocean preservation, we collaborate with partners to develop education programs and activities in aquatic conservation, restoration, and marine projects dedicated to protecting the earth’s waters and its inhabitants for the future of our next generation.
We wrote this privacy statement to help you understand what information we collect, how we use it, what choices you have and other important information. Although some of the concepts below are a bit technical, we tried our best to explain things in a straightforward and transparent way. If you have any questions or comments about this privacy statement or the ways in which the Foundation uses the information we collect, please do not hesitate to contact us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this privacy statement.
Scope of Our Privacy Statement
When this Privacy Statement Applies
This privacy statement applies to information collected through fabiencousteauolc.org and any other websites, mobile apps or other online products and services that display or link to this privacy statement (collectively, “online environments”).
When this Privacy Statement Does Not Apply
This privacy statement does not apply to:
- Websites, mobile apps or other products and services that have their own privacy statement or policy;
- Websites, mobile apps or other products and services that do not display or link to this privacy statement; and
- Information collected offline.
If you have any questions as to whether this privacy statement applies to you, please do not hesitate to contact us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this privacy statement.
Information We Collect
We collect information in a few different ways: (i) information you submit or give us permission to obtain; and (ii) technical information collected automatically. Each of these ways is discussed below.
Information You Submit or Give Us Permission to Obtain
We collect information from you when you choose to provide it to us through our online environments. For example, if you:
- Register a Team OLC Personal Page, you may provide us with your name, email address, login name and password, and any content you include on your Team OLCPersonal Page;
- Donate to the Foundation, you may provide us with your name, email address, postal address, payment card information, donation amount, and any information included in your donation message (if any);
- Register for Foundation events, you may provide us with your name, email address, postal address, guest names, meal preferences, payment card information, donation amount, and any information included in your message;
- Request support or contact us with an inquiry, you may provide us with information such as your name, contact information, the subject of your inquiry, message content and any other information you choose to provide;
- Sign up to receive updates from the Foundation, you may provide us with your name, email address, phone number, and postal address; and
- Respond to surveys, you may provide us with your survey responses, contact information and any other information required to complete the survey.
We also collect information from you when you give us permission to access it. For example, if you access our online environments through your mobile device (for example, via a mobile app or your device’s browser), you may give us access to location data.
Technical Information Collected Automatically
We may collect certain technical information about your visits to our online environments without you actively submitting such information. This information can make your use of our online environments easier and more meaningful by allowing us to provide better service, customize our online environments based on your preferences, compile statistics, analyze trends and otherwise administer and improve our online environments.
Some of the types of technical information collected automatically when visiting our online environments include:
- Log Data. When you use our online environments, our servers automatically record information (“log data”), including information that your browser or mobile app sends whenever you visit or use our online environments. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web pages you visited that had Foundation features, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used our online environments and cookie data;
- Device Information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you are using to access our online environments, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, unique device identifiers and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you are using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you are using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or an Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect to support and further the mission of the Foundation, organize events and protect ourselves and our customers.
If you register and maintain a Team OLC Personal Page, the information we collect is used to set up and manage your account.
If you donate to the Foundation, the information we collect is used to process your donation, invite you to events, and contact you regarding your donation and future donations.
If you register for events, the information we collect is used to register you, satisfy any meal requests, facilitate the purchase of tickets, seat you with others, and contact you regarding future events and donating opportunities.
If you submit a question, the information we collect is used to respond to your question.
We also use the information we collect for other legitimate business purposes, such as to:
- Send you notices and other information regarding our programs, events and similar Foundation opportunities;
- Respond to your inquiries or support requests;
- Invite you to participate in surveys;
- Furnish and maintain our online environments; and
- Secure our networks and online environments.
We may also use the information we collect to offer you customized content, including to:
- Recognize new or past visitors to our online environments;
- Remember your personal preferences; and
- Conduct research and analyze the use of our online environments, products, services and advertisements.
Some of our applications and mobile-optimized online environments may have location-based features. To deliver these features, we may access and use location data provided by your mobile device if you give us permission. Location information will be collected solely to deliver the requested feature, and it will not be further retained or stored by us.
Finally, in certain limited circumstances, we may be called upon to release the information we collect in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the potentially-sensitive nature of the information they may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting members or visitors who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to others or their property.
We use common tools, such as cookies and similar technologies (discussed in the “Technical Information Collected Automatically” section above), to monitor interactions with our online environments, identify you and maintain your user preferences, tailor web content to match your browser capability, analyze usage trends, administer and improve our online environments, identify irregular site behavior, prevent fraudulent activity and improve security.
When We Share Your Information & Our Relationship to Third Parties
We may use third parties to perform a variety of functions on our behalf. We may also use third parties to analyze data collected through our online environments (for example, Google Analytics). We will not disclose your personally identifying information to anyone other than our employees and those third parties with whom we have a business relationship. If we allow a third party vendor to have access to your personally identifying information, we will not authorize them to take it or use it for any purpose that is not consistent with this privacy statement.
We will not sell or disclose any personally identifying information collected from you without your express permission, except as explained in this privacy statement.
- Vendors and Suppliers. We have relationships with different vendors and suppliers who help us design and maintain our online environments, systems and computer security, respond to consumer inquiries, fulfill orders, analyze our data, create special programs and engage in any other information uses described in this privacy statement.
- Legal Requests and Preventing Harm. If we believe that disclosure of information is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or the Foundation; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Change of Ownership or Control. We may engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that may involve the transfer of the information described in this privacy statement.
Other Important Information About Our Relationship With Third Parties
- Social Media Plugins. Our online environments may use social media plugins (for example, the Facebook and Twitter buttons) to enable you to visit pages on these social media sites or to easily share information with others. When you visit our online environments, the operator of the social plugin can place a cookie on your device, enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited our online environments. If you are logged into the social media website (for example, Facebook and Twitter) while browsing on our online environments, the social plugins allow that social media website to receive information that you have visited our online environments. We do not control any of the content from the social media plugins. For more information about social plugins from other social media websites you should refer to those sites’ privacy and data sharing statements.
Choices You Have about Your Information
You may always limit the amount and type of information that we collect from you by choosing not to enter or provide any information requested from you on our online environments. However, some of our services can only be provided to you if you provide us with requested information. Some of the programs and services offered through our online environments may ask whether you wish to opt out or opt into our contact lists for updates and additional programs and services that may be of interest to you.
You can opt out of marketing emails we may send to you by following the “unsubscribe” instructions provided in such emails. If you opt out of our marketing emails, we may still send you transactional and relationship emails, such as emails about your donations and account.
You may also be provided with preference questions or preference boxes allowing you to indicate that you do not want our online environments to use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to “remember” the information collected on return visits, such as user IDs or mailing addresses. In addition, most web browsers have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allowing you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. For more information about cookies and how to refuse them, visit here and here. To control flash cookies, which we may use on certain online environments from time to time, you can go here (note, this separate link is provided because flash cookies cannot be controlled through your browser settings).
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. As of the Effective Date of this privacy statement, an industry standard has not yet been established on how to respond to these signals. Therefore, we do not currently respond to these signals, but we may reassess our response approach once a standard is established.
How You Can Access and Correct Your Information
You can access, change or remove information previously provided to us upon request by contacting us at info@fabiencousteauOLC.org. For record keeping and compliance purposes, we will retain certain information collected from you in conjunction with commercial transactions.
How We Secure Your Information
We have instituted physical, technical and procedural safeguards to store and maintain information we collect in a secure environment. For example, when any confidential information is transmitted over public infrastructure it is encrypted. You may also be required to use a password to access certain pages on our online environments where certain types of your information can be changed or deleted. It is therefore important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your device. You take full responsibility for maintaining the complexity and confidentiality of your password. While we have implemented safeguards, you should be aware that Internet security technology rapidly changes. We cannot guarantee that the safeguards we employ today can protect your information from the threats of tomorrow. You should also be aware that despite our efforts, factors beyond our control may result in disclosure of information. Accordingly, we are not in a position to guarantee that your information will be secure under all circumstances.
Our online environments are designed for and targeted to U.S. audiences and are governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the U.S. While users from countries other than the U.S. may access our online environments, we make no representation that such environments are operated in accordance with the laws or regulations of, or governed by, other nations.
Please be aware that by accessing our online environments, or providing us with information, you understand and agree that:
- Information collected from you may be transferred to and stored on servers located outside your jurisdiction;
- To the extent you are a resident of a country other than the United States, you consent to the transfer of such information to the United States for our use in accordance with this privacy statement; and
- This privacy statement, and the collection and use of information pursuant to this privacy statement, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law.
Providing us with information or continuing to use our online environments indicates that you are agreeing to the collection, use, disclosure, management and storage of information collected from you as described in this privacy statement.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to amend this privacy statement without prior notice to reflect technological advancements, legal and regulatory changes and good business practices. If we change our privacy practices, a new privacy statement will reflect those changes and the effective date of the revised privacy statement will be set forth at the top of this privacy statement.
If you have any questions or comments about this privacy statement or the ways in which we use information subject to this statement, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.